Monday, July 4, 2011

Making Rag Rugs


As you may have read, I enjoy upcycling and recycling.  I'm always trying to use things we have kicking around the house, or find things that others have discarded or want to get rid of.  Going to yard sales and thrift shops is a favorite place to shop, when I have a cool project in mind.   


My stack of yard sale sheets

A couple of weeks ago I bought some gently used sheets, while out exploring yard sales.  Since then, I've bought curtains and/or any kind of large pieces of fabric.  I love yard sales and the prices they offer!  I've collected a variety of colors with no speicific plan in mind...other than the idea of making my first ever crocheted rag rug.  I paid anywhere from 25¢ to $1.00 for each sheet or set of sheets.   What a bargain.  At the time, I didn't know how many sheets I'd need for each rug.  There was much mystery involved in this project. 


One queen sheet ripped
into 1 1/2" strips

Once home, I laundered the sheets.  The next step was to figure out how to cut them to have one continuous strand of fabric yarn.  After searching the Internet, I decided to rip my strips 1 1/2 inches wide.  (I'll talk more abou the process of cutting another time).  I ripped the fabric, rolled the strips into balls and began crocheting.  The ripping is a bit time consuming.  Do you know an easy way to get the ripping step completed?  My first rug, when complete, ended up being approx 24" X 42."  It was soft and wonderful under my feet.  I've made two others since then, and I have enough sheets to make 3 more.  I hope to get at least one made this week. 


My first rag rug
24" X 42"

Have you ever wanted to make a rag rug?  There's a good chance you have enough old sheets in you linen closet to make one.  I used approximately 3 to 4 sheets for the 24" X 42"rug.  We can blog about the process if you would like to make one.  


1 comments:

Khristen said... [Reply to comment]

I wondered how many sheets those rugs took. Another thing I'll have to try, I would love more rugs in this place :)